In the process of moving into a new home? Well, don’t forget to christen your new space with a housewarming party! I know, the last thing you may feel like doing when you’re in the middle of unpacking boxes and setting up your new home is entertaining. But you may be pleasantly surprised by how it feels to take a minute, welcome a few friends, meet a few neighbors, and gaze at your new purchase.
And, trust me, when you throw a housewarming party, your friends and neighbors are not expecting your new home to look perfect, but you can bet they are excited to get a first look at your new space! Need some motivation to get your boxes put away and at least a bit of décor up on your walls? Here are five tips for throwing an awesome housewarming party:
1. Get Planning Decide on a date and time for your party. Once you set the date, determine your guest list and send out your invites. Use regular mail, email, or social media to get the word out. Remember, it is customary for guests to bring a gift to a housewarming party, so if you prefer that your guests just come to have fun, be sure to indicate that in your invite.
2. Choose a Theme Here is where you can have a little fun before your party even starts. When it comes to housewarming parties, you can host anything from a casual backyard BBQ to a fancy dinner to an unpacking party—yes, you could put your guests to work when they come to the party!
3. Include a Tour Just as guests pretty much plan to bring a gift to a housewarming party, they also plan on receiving a tour while they’re there. Of course, you can keep it traditional and simply parade guests through your home to show off the new space. But you also have a unique opportunity to add to the fun of your event. Offer up a non-traditional tour by creating a scavenger hunt through your new home. Deciding between a few colors in certain rooms? Let guests weigh in while they’re on tour!
4. Let Guests Help In addition to asking guests to weigh in on paint colors or décor while they’re in your new home, you also can rely on them to help with the night’s menu. Plan to provide the main course, but let guests bring their favorites when it comes to appetizers, desserts, or drinks. This is a great way to beef up your recipe collection or stock your bar, too!
5. Invite Guests Back The best way to end an awesome housewarming party? Don’t let the memory-making stop. You can ensure your new home is always full of fun and friends by giving your guests a way to remember how to find you. Send your housewarming party guests home with a memento that includes your new address. Anything from personalized post-its to custom-wrapped candy bars can include your address. Get creative when thinking about how to send your guests home after your party.
6. Don’t stress yourself. A final tip for hosting a great housewarming party? Don’t stress. House cleaning and care are all a part of being a homeowner. If those tasks don’t get perfectly done before your party, it is OK. Remember, your guests are interested in seeing your home, but above all, they’re there to support you in your new venture!